Sunday, November 18, 2012

Reflections of Week-7,Learner Autonomy& One Computer Classroom


6514234-three-elements-of-true-motivation--mastery-autonomy-purpose--crossword-with-ivory-letter-blocks-on-cThis week we covered the topics of Learner Autonomy and One computer Classroom.Both these topics are very important for English Language Teachers.I read Learner autonomy: drawing together the threadsof self-assessment,  goal-setting and reflection http://up.wallwisher.net/20121112/2c28808faf59a6b8495d7038bcbdae85.pd by David Little,Learner Autonomy:Bird in thehand orBird in the bush by Samual P H Sheu


  • http://coyote.miyazaki-mu.ac.jp/learnerdev/LLE/8.1/sheuE.html
  • What is Learner Autonomy and How Can It Be Fostered?http://iteslj.org/Articles/Thanasoulas-Autonomy.html  by Dimitrios Thanasoulas.
  • All these articles covered different aspects of learner autonomy.I strongly feel that language learning can not take place unless learning is autonomous.
  • I recommend and follow Task Based Teaching In the model of task-based learning described by Jane Willis, the traditional PPP (presentation, practice, production) lesson is reversed. The students start with the task. When they have completed it, the teacher draws attention to the language used, making corrections and adjustments to the students' performance. In A Framework for Task-Based Learning, Jane Willis presents a three stage process:
    ·         Pre-task - Introduction to the topic and task.
    ·         Task cycle - Task planning and report
        Language focus - Analysis and practice which gives a lot of autonomy to learners.



We in India usually have one Computer Classroom I used computer for showing PPT,Video and pronunciation but now I can think of using it in many other ways  after reading these articles on One Computer Classroom-



This week Nicenet did not work properly.This happens in classroom teaching also.Technology is very supportive and helpful when it is working.We should always have a back up plan ready  when there is a sudden break in the class. 

Mary and Ina has become my project partners and we will exchange our first draft in three days.

Best Regards

Raj

3 comments:

  1. Hello Raj,

    One computer classroom is usually regarded from teacher's perspective. The teachers in Moldova also use PPt for explaining a new topic, playing a video, demonstrating some pictures.

    The idea of creating class wallwishers opens the learner's perspective in one computer classroom. The Wallwisher will help my stydents be actively involved in one computer classroom.

    Best wishes,
    Ina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ina

    Thanks for your valuable input.You are right.Now we are equipped with a lot of new ideas and ways to cater to the need of learners.

    Regards

    Raj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Raj!

    It has been a good summary of a very productive week. Although, I knew about learner autonomy, the articles we read gave me extra ideas on how to raise my students' awareness, motivation and self-esteem through technology tools. I also use my personal laptop in my classes but it is very interesting to discover so many alternative tasks for my learners.

    Week 8 is almost here and Ina, you and I will be working cooperatively on our project drafts. I feel very happy to share my work with colleagues from other cultures since receiving your feedback is quite important to me!

    See you soon, guys!!!

    Regards!



    ReplyDelete