Sunday, November 4, 2012

Reflections of week 5




Hi Everyone

I could not actively participate in this weeks activity due to my grandmother's illness.Now She is well and I have decided to go through all the views given by my colleagues and Courtney  to recover from the loss and restart everything.

I started the week by addressing to the problems of the last week by identifying technology related changes to improve my students.The main problems were

1.Lack of Motivation and seriousness
2.Strong Mother Tongue Influence on spoken English
 &
3..Fear of failure

The changes I would like to bring are related to these problems.First of all I would like to use a language lab with internet facility where students could use following websites related to pronunciation.-

1)Phonetics: The sounds of American English
http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/english/frameset.html


2)BBC Learning English | Pronunciation Tips
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/pron/

Apart from this I would like to use recently found
website of 
Toastmasters International - Home

The site is related to interview preparation ,leadership development & public speaking.Use of material from this and similar site will improve their confidence.

I have decided to start recording of group discussion and interviews followed by peer assessment and teacher feedback.

I am hopeful that these changes will bring positive results.



I have created a rubric on Group Presentation for my students who give a presentation in corporate selection process.My ID is : 2250036
http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php?screen=CustomizeTemplateSaveDatabase&debug=&save_user_rubric=yes& 
The rubric covers all important aspects of Group Presentation like content,collaboration,pitch ,time management and describes evaluation parameters.

New concepts of Project based learning along with rubrics,alternative assessment opens new possibilities in the classroom.

At the end what I feel that it is just the tip of the iceberg.We have been provided with so much material and links coupled with new learning and knowledge,it seems to me that this is the brave new world before my eyes which is full of possibilities and excitment.

Regards

Raj





6 comments:

  1. Hi, Raj!!!

    I notice that you also like teaching pronunciation in your classes. Congratulations! You have chosen excellent pronunciation webpages to enhance your students oral performance.

    I agree with you. Project-based learning and alternative assessment/rubrics constitute motivating technology possibilities for our learners in the classroom but also outside the classroom. I really loved learning about these technology resources this week!

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary

      I must thank you for your minute observation of my liking for teaching pronunciation in my classes.It is really nice to know that you also like teaching pronunciation.

      This week was packed with new information and full of practical learning.I could not devote required time to grasp all that but now I am going through all the postings.

      Best wishes & Regards!

      Raj

      Delete
  2. Hello Raj

    Good to 'see' you back in our midst! Balancing the many roles that we play along with that of being an online learner is in deed a challenge; but we're all managing and you're not an exception. I'm happy to see how you're planning to integrate technology to teach pronunciation an element which demands lot of practice and feedback to reach a level of perfection.

    Regards, Cherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherry

      Thanks for your valuable input.

      This course has so much to offer.At present we are learning, sharing and doing a lot of activities at a time keeping in view our assignment submission deadline.

      But I think there is much more to it thann what we have been able to take.We have a lot of places to revisit.I am sure that learning of this course will keep on growing in us.I am happy to be a part of this guided exploration.

      Please keep on sharing your thoughts.

      Best Rgards!

      Raj

      Delete
  3. Hello Rajkumar

    One thing that I could not understand when we mention that there are so many problems in engaging students whether it is traditional or technological approach to teach and learn any subject of academics.

    The problem lies first with our self perception as a teacher to interact with students. Secondly the problem is if we interact, what we are guiding to them. Third sometimes there is callousness among the learners towards their learning activities or doing activities, it is because the education pattern in our system is not based on PBL or PPT Oral Presentations, there is no continuous assessment along with cumulative assessment. Hence the teachers are not ready with their rubrics, they are not prepared with the steps to continue with their lessons effectively, enthusiastically and enriching manner, they are solely concerned how to complete curriculum which is absolutely not integrating learning, it is completely based on memorization or copying down notes etc.

    These are some of the reasons that has not made teachers commonly in our education system not updated with technology; secondly the multi-cultural/ multi-lingual aspects and population explosion, then mass-strength of students for education in great number in one classroom are some of the other problems.

    The inputs that we have been taught to incorporate with building teaching skills through interactive web do clarify some of the simplest problems, that if we cannot keep our students engaged even after availing this web-technology, then how we can engage learners with traditional pattern.

    Therefore my focus is always on the web-search tools, that can help students to remain interactive and engaged at the same with traditional pattern of seeking knowledge.

    I will continue with this letter later, till then best wishes!

    Jayshree Singh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Raj,

    Reading back over your problems and the solutions you have decided to implement, I am convinced that you will be successful. I think you have chosen excellent resources to aid in your quest to defeat lack of motivation and seriousness, strong mother tongue influence on spoken English, and fear of failure. Additionally, recoding group discussions is an excellent way for both teachers and students to assess the discussions. Not only that, but you can use the video recordings to go back and have further discussions about strengths and weaknesses of each discussion, resulting in a sense of community and hopefully, confidence building.

    Great reflections, Raj! I'm glad that you are learning so much and feel a brave, new world before your eyes!

    ReplyDelete